Granny Boots in Public

Thighbootguy

I just bought a pair of granny boots on e-bay

Posted Image

and they came with a 3 1/2" heel, 6 pair of speed hooks and a side zipper. The fit nicely but putting them on and taking them off has been a bit of a pain.

My first outing with them was at lunchtime. I keep my heel wearing and work separated but I really wanted to try my new boots so I went out to my car and put them on and discovered what a pain it was to put them on.

This was the first time in a long time I was wearing heels and I didn’t want to be noticed. (I normally wear thigh boots outside my jeans so being noticed is expected). Anyway, I got a carryout lunch and went to a local park and ate at a picnic table. The outing was uneventful but uncomfortable so close to work. I won't do that again.

I did solve the problem of the laces falling out of the speed hooks when I put the boots on or take them off. I noticed the hooks had a hole like eyelets did so I laced the boots by running the lace through the hole in the speed hooks. The trick is to start the lace through the hole then use needle nose pliers to reach under the hook to pull the lace through the hole.

I now have a fun pair of boots that are easy to get into and out of.

JeffB has suggested several outfits to go with these boots, “I think flared or narrow legged jeans, paired with a black t-shirt would work well with those boots. Or, as another option, you could go all black from head to toe”.

Any additional ideas are welcome.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Glad to have been of assistance. After having seen your boots, I plumbed the depths of my memory and recalled that I once owned a pair of Granny boots I bought way back in the mid 90's from a women's shoe store a mile from where I live. As I remember them, they were black with eyelets all the way up to the top and three inch block heels. At the time, I thought they were rather attractive, or at least subtle enough for me to wear out in public without much commotion. Now that I think back on them, they were all that great looking as my sense of style has greatly evolved from where it was over a decade ago. As for the boots, I think I donated them to Goodwill, so I guess they're still in circulation somewhere.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

I wore my granny boots to the grocery last night. I wore them under my slacks but the heel and the pointed toe were clearly visible. Only two girls noticed and they just has a funny look on their faces. Guys in heels must have been a new idea for them. Other than that, no one noticed or said a thing.

JeffB -

You are a major style barometer for the site and you gave your granny boots to the Goodwill. Oh well, I still like mine. :P

As Shafted suggested, they are cooler than my thigh boots. Since Friday is a jeans day at work, I’ll try wearing them over my jeans (before and after work).

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

JeffB -

You are a major style barometer for the site and you gave your granny boots to the Goodwill. Oh well, I still like mine. :P

Well, I donated those boots back in the late 90's, so I guess I can be excused. Heh! However, I wouldn't be opposed to owning a pair today.

:P

Nice boots thighbootguy, I'd wear those myself. I can understand your concern about being too close to work wearing them. That's a roadblock I've already torn down. I've been open and honest about my high heel fascination with many of my coworkers, just in case I ran into them outside of work. In small towns there is a high likelyhood of this happening. When I do run into them outside of work, it's no big deal for them seeing me in heels. Like you however they don't go in the office with me, except for maybe halloween.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

Thighbootguy:-) Granny boots should be a great departure from your usual thighboots over pants routine. That height of heel should make them a great pair for street-heeling. You should wear them where you usually wear your thighboots and see if the people there notice the difference and strike up a conversation with you on the subject. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

I wore my granny boots on the outside of my jeans today. I stopped at Bigg’s on the way to work for yogurt. I carried a hand basket in the store so there was no cart to hide anyone’s view. I got one disapproving look from one lady. Several others glanced including several workmen but no one said anything.

On the way home I stopped in again and this time I used a cart. Even though the store was busy, very few noticed my boots and I got no reaction at all.

The boots are leather and are becoming more comfortable each time I wear them. The shoe is a little narrower than by thigh boots but natural give of the leather is forming to my feet.

JeffB -

At least your pair had a chance to get out again. :P ;

Shafted -

I’ve mentioned in other posts, many of the group I work with wouldn’t understand heel wearing and I’m not ready to take on their education.

Dawn HH -

The boots are great for general wear but they are not designed for a lot of it. This was not an expensive pair of boots. I’ll do my best to wear them out.

Posted Image

Well, given the short shaft of those boots, I'd say they'd probably work better under pants or jeans. At least that's how I'd wear them, but that's just my opinion.

:P

Thighbootguy:-) QUOTE:---"I'll do my best to wear them out". Well...there's wearing them out...AND...there's wearing them OUT! Enjoy! Myself...I would wear them under my jeans, I think they would look better that way. Cheers--- Dawn HH

JeffB has suggested several outfits to go with these boots, “I think flared or narrow legged jeans, paired with a black t-shirt would work well with those boots. Or, as another option, you could go all black from head to toe”.

Any additional ideas are welcome.

I think some skinny jeans would go well with your granny boots:

Skinny jeans at Dior Homme F/W 05

Posted Image

Posted Image

Skinny jeans are flattering for most body types, and based on what you've said about yourself, you definitely could pull them off. They usually go with a bit more "pouffant" tops, a bit more baggy and layered (but never in a hip hop-ish kind of way.). Imagine black jeans with your dark sport coat--and a shirt underneath besides your standard solid turtleneck (something with some texture can still be solid) and you would ROCK that look for sure. Vintage/victorian/gothic looks are on the runways now and supposedly trickling down to the mainstream this fall and winter, so you're look really could be cutting edge. You'd make the paintings at the art galleries jealous since you would be the work of art, not them.

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

I have been wearing my granny boots all week (with the exception of “at work”). I have even worn them at lunch a couple of times.

Most days I wear slacks and the boots are under the slacks but on Friday and weekends, I wear close fitting jeans and the boots look great over the jeans.

Yesterday I went to Sam’s and had to stand around while one of the associates helped me find an item. This took about 10 minutes and lots of people passed by. Most noticed but, other than a few confused looks, there was little reaction and none of it was negative.

I got the strongest reaction on Friday when I went to Wallgreens (chain drug store). As I was in the checkout line, a little girl and her mother passed by me and the little girl was pulling on her mothers arm and pointing to my boots and saying, “Look mommy, look”. The lady did her best to ignore the whole thing and keep going.

I actually feel more comfortable wearing the boots over my jeans than under my slacks. There is no sense of feeling like I’m trying to hide something or tension over whether someone sees my boots. The only reason I wear them under my slacks is that they don’t look good with the loose pant leg tucked into the tight fitting ankle where the close fitting jeans look great.

Kneehighs -

I’m not sure I’m ready for shinny jeans yet but I’ll keep it in mind.

Dawn HH -

I’ll do my best to wear them out in both sense of the word.

Thighbootguy, Aren't children great, they speak exactly what's on their mind. There's nothing like a child to draw attention to you boots.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

Thighbootguy:-) Having worked with children for so many years, I quite agree with what Shafted says. Children are uninhibited in what they say. They speak their mind, and then some. Cheers--- Dawn HH

An interesting outing, thighbootguy. A question: has anyone asked you why you're wearing boots in the middle of summer as I imagine it probably gets mighty humid in your neck of the woods. Just curious! :wink:

I've also experienced the innocent protestations of young children observing my wearing "womens" shoes while out and about in bublic. The two most striking features of a child's noticing "black/white" gender irregularities is their ear catching, attention getting, voice quality that can't be ignored and their absolute "I will not stop until I'm heard" insistance that they be paid attention to. The longer they are ignored by their parent (mother, usually), the more attention their continued effort attract from those around them -- usually to the embarassment of the man wearing heels. :wink:

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

I've also experienced the innocent protestations of young children observing my wearing "womens" shoes while out and about in bublic. The two most striking features of a chind's noticing "black/white" gender irregularities is their ear catching, attention getting, voice quality that can't be ignored and their absolute "I will not stop until I'm heard" insistance that they be paid attention to. The longer they are ignored by their parent (mother, usually), the more attention their continued effort attract from those around them -- usually to the embarassment of the man wearing heels. :wink:

Make that two! I've had that happen to me with kids more than once and it never ceases to be an uncomfortable experience since kids know nothing about discretion and just blurt out the first thing that comes to mind, usually loudly and quite insistantly! Even to someone with "emotional armor" like me, dealing with kids is never easy!

:lol:

I have mentioned how good cushioned insoles feel in my thigh boots and it finally dawned on me to put a pair in my granny boots. These are nice leather boots that have stretched a little where they needed to and are now very comfortable. The insoles really make them a pleasure to wear.

I was out and about this afternoon and wore them outside my dress slacks. It didn’t look as good as with jeans but I liked it better than trying to hide them under my pant legs. I know most people (men and women) don’t display their heels when they are wearing slacks, rather they let the heel and toe pick out from under the pant cuff. I would do that with pumps but I like to wear boots and I think they look better fully displayed.

Anyway, while I was out I went to a different Sam’s Club than I normally go to and then to a Wallgreens (drug store). Some folks noticed but there were no comments or adverse reactions. I did get a few pleasant smiles and nice greetings. I had a good afternoon.

All -

Aren’t kids fun. Some of the most overt reactions I have gotten while wearing boots with heels have been from kids. I then realized that their reaction is a window into what they have been taught and even if their parent are not displaying a reaction to a guy in heeled boots they sure are thinking it. I have often wondered about the conversations the parents and kids had after I was gone. I doubt if the kids let the subject drop. I’m either an object lesson of how sick some people are or a lesson in how free spirited people can be.

Havn't had it happen to me yet, but I do know if anything it would bring a smile to my face. I can't help but enjoy their blatent honesty.

JeffB:-) Bubba136:-) Thighbootguy:-) Shafted:-) How right you all are. Tell me about it. I worked with children for 32 years and at the Parent Night gatherings I always told the parents that I would only believe half of the tales that the children would bring me at school if they would only believe half of the tales that the children would tell them at home of what had happened at school. Out of the mouths of babes, etc. etc. etc. Children can be brutally honest sometimes to the point that your ears would burn with the stories. Cheers--- Dawn HH

I don't know, thigh, maybe it's just me, but granny boots and dress pants makes for an odd pairing, regardless of if you wear them tucked in the boots. Jeans or, if you're bold enough, leggings would work much better, in any case, if you wear such bottom, I think they'd have to be snug, if not tight in order to present a sharp looking sihloutette. I plan on wearing tight jeans with my thigh boots, I think it's the only way to go. But that's just my opinion. Take it for what it's worth. :wink:

I'm not much into spike heels, but I might be tempted to wear something like this if they ever came in my size:

Posted Image

But I would prefer something more along these lines:

Posted ImagePosted Image

And hey, what do you know? The ones on the right are in my size - and less than $100, too!

JeffB -

I tried the granny boots with black leggins but didn’t like the look. The leggins are skin tight and the texture break where the boots starts makes them look like there hanging on the ends of legs. I prefer the look of the granny boots over close fitting jeans. They look like they are a more natural extension on the jeans.

The appearance of wearing them under dress slacks is just a little different than pumps. Only the heel and base of the shoe are visible. Wearing them over dress slacks was just a little more show off then wearing them under the slacks.

I also prefer my thigh boots over jeans. I have also worn them over dress slacks and leggins but really prefer the look of jeans.

dr1819 -

The pair I found were size 14. I’m not sure I could get myself to wear a wing tip. :wink:

Welcome to hhplace, dr1819! You might be surprised that for a given heel height the skinny heels seem to be easier to walk in than a chunkier heel and allow for a more fluid gait.

JeffB -

I tried the granny boots with black leggins but didn’t like the look. The leggins are skin tight and the texture break where the boots starts makes them look like there hanging on the ends of legs. I prefer the look of the granny boots over close fitting jeans. They look like they are a more natural extension on the jeans.

The appearance of wearing them under dress slacks is just a little different than pumps. Only the heel and base of the shoe are visible. Wearing them over dress slacks was just a little more show off then wearing them under the slacks.

I also prefer my thigh boots over jeans. I have also worn them over dress slacks and leggins but really prefer the look of jeans.

Most interesting! I remember seeing a young woman wearing tight black leggings tucked into tan JLo boots last fall which was what inspired me to suggest that idea to you. And she looked quite hot to say the least! A pity that didn't work for you. Perhaps jeans would be a better option in your case. However, part of the fun comes in experimenting with new and different looks to see what's appealing and what's not.

As for wearing thigh high boots over jeans, clearly that's the way to go. Especially tight jeans which presents a sleekier, more streamlined appearance. I can imagine that would be harder to accomplish with dress slacks unless those are worn tight as well.

dr1819 -

The pair I found were size 14. I’m not sure I could get myself to wear a wing tip. :wink:

The cool thing about wingtips is that if a bloke ever looks down at your feet while you're standing in front of him, he instantly thinks "guy shoes" while your pants hide the heels!

Like the boot, but once again speed laces and zippers. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what will happen when you try to use the zippers.

Unless you pinch the speedhooks down with a pair of pliers or a small tap hammer.....keeps 'em in place and doesn't destroy the boots.

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

Well, I'm no rocket scientist, but I plan to order a pair and find out for myself. They just look too nice to pass up! And I'm dying for new boots! :wink:

Well, I'm no rocket scientist, but I plan to order a pair and find out for myself. They just look too nice to pass up! And I'm dying for new boots!

:wink:

I'd love to hear what your coworkers have to say about those boots. Speed laces and zippers aside. I'd wear those. They look pretty comfy too. Just be warned JeffB, lace ups can be kind of restrictive around the ankle. You may have to alter your walk a bit to compensate. On the plus side the fit for laceups is incredible, and feels incredible.