What Time At Night Did You First Go Out In Heels ?

Eager2heel

I wanted to see what it would be like to be out walking around my area at night. I can't walk in the heels yet but i hope i will soon. I just went for a walk to see if it would be quiet at 1am. I could not believe how many people are out the late walking around. I even had a cop slow down to look at me. People were walking there dogs and other people were running. I do not think i will be able to pull off walking in heels around my area from what i saw last night.

Maybe also name some other types of places you went to for walks.

I first went out wearing heels during the day. I was wearing block heeled boots and went for a short walk round the estate I live on.

Your lucky to be able to do that. I am going to have to find some place to walk a few times to get used to heels. I just don't know where.

I for one have never been out at such an ungodly hour of the night in heels, it's just too damn dangerous. While I'm an advocate of heel wearing in broad daylight (trust me on this, 99 percent of the people you encounter either won't notice or won't care), if you're uncomfortable with that, try going out early in the morning instead.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

The first time I ever went out in heels I think it was around 8pm on a late autumn evening, so it was dark. There were people out and about but mostly a steady stream of cars driving past, not too many pedestrians. I was in my late teens and wearing the first ever heels I bought, black patent 4" stilleto courts. I stood behind my front door for several minutes with my heart pounding, occasionally opening the door briefly and checking for a suitable moment to step out, but there always seemed to be a reason to hesitate and close the door again.

Eventually there was a break in the passing traffic and no pedestrians nearby so I grapsed the moment and stepped out. From what I remember I walked maybe 20 yards along the pavement before getting nervous and turning back, but as I approached my house I decided to keep walking another 20 yards in the other direction. Then I got nervous again, turned back and retreated behind my front door.

At that point the nervousness was replaced by euphoria and an instant desire to do it again, so I waited for a safe moment and then stepped out again. This time I kept walking and I was quite relieved when the passing traffic picked up again, as the noise of the cars masked the amazingly loud click of my heels, and it was quite a thrill to look down and catch a glimpse of my shoes in the passing car headlights. About 50 yards down the road I became very aware of how I was walking, and tried to relax and walk in a more confident and stylish way. That's just as well because I was approaching a busy intersection with no shady spots to hide in. I kept walking and turned the corner onto a quieter street, and felt really satisfied that I'd not tuned back.

The rest of my walk around the block was on quieter streets - well, less traffic but I could hear the sound of my heels echoing off the houses each side of the street. At one point someone's front door opened some distance away, and a lady was still stood at the door waving goodbye to someone driving away as I approached. I tried to walk as steadily and elegantly as I could, and I noticed her glance at me before going inside and closing the door, leaving me wondering if she thought "what a silly pair of shoes to be walking in" or perhaps "what fabulous shoes!".

By this time I could feel the tightness in my tendons and soreness in the balls of my feet, as I'd never walked anything like this distance in heels before, and on concrete paving too. But I was more than half way around the block, so turning back was pointless, it was easier to keep going. When I got back home I was buzzing with the thrill of the walk, but it was a relief to slip off my shoes and sit down.

It took me a while to build up the confidence to do that again, but over the next few months I remember repeating that walk twice more. Once wearing black leather courts with a 3½" heel and a ¾-length coat, and I remember a young boy cycled past me on his bike, but I had the distinct impression that he'd been delaying before overtaking me, perhaps captivated by the heels in the same way I would have been if I was that boy on the bike. The other time I wore my gold strappy sandals with red-painted toes and a green party dress under the same coat, and that was my first encounter with a pedestrian, a young lady who glanced up and down at my outfit and heels before we passed each other by.

It was many years later that I first presented myself in public as a guy in heels, and that was in broad daylight trying on my avatar boots in the store before buying them. For newbies if you really feel more comfortable stepping out in the cover of darkness, I'd really recommend an autumn/winter evening where lots of cars are driving around and maybe even with lots of pedestrian commuters walking home, or a high street bustling with christmas shoppers. Unless you're wearing really obvious heels most people will be far too preoccupied to even notice that you're wearing heels.

If you like it, wear it.

My first time out?? Being a smoker, and traveling on business means you have to go out side once in awhile. Threw on a pair of clog/mules with about a 4" heel and head out. Down the elevator, past the lobby desk and out the door. The entrance area is well lite, so it.s not like darkness was gonna hide much.

One hotel has a few girls that like to see what I'm wearing. Another has a guy who admits he has a bit of a problem with it, but he realizes that it's an issue he has, and not related to the hotel.

I for one have never been out at such an ungodly hour of the night in heels, it's just too damn dangerous. While I'm an advocate of heel wearing in broad daylight (trust me on this, 99 percent of the people you encounter either won't notice or won't care), if you're uncomfortable with that, try going out early in the morning instead.

I have to say the morning walk is a no go. I get up week days at 4:30 am to get ready for work. I see people all over the place . Everyone knows me so the last thing I need is people talking about me up and down my street. I just do not know what I am going to do.

The first time I ever went out in heels I think it was around 8pm on a late autumn evening, so it was dark. There were people out and about but mostly a steady stream of cars driving past, not too many pedestrians. I was in my late teens and wearing the first ever heels I bought, black patent 4" stilleto courts. I stood behind my front door for several minutes with my heart pounding, occasionally opening the door briefly and checking for a suitable moment to step out, but there always seemed to be a reason to hesitate and close the door again.

Eventually there was a break in the passing traffic and no pedestrians nearby so I grapsed the moment and stepped out. From what I remember I walked maybe 20 yards along the pavement before getting nervous and turning back, but as I approached my house I decided to keep walking another 20 yards in the other direction. Then I got nervous again, turned back and retreated behind my front door.

At that point the nervousness was replaced by euphoria and an instant desire to do it again, so I waited for a safe moment and then stepped out again. This time I kept walking and I was quite relieved when the passing traffic picked up again, as the noise of the cars masked the amazingly loud click of my heels, and it was quite a thrill to look down and catch a glimpse of my shoes in the passing car headlights. About 50 yards down the road I became very aware of how I was walking, and tried to relax and walk in a more confident and stylish way. That's just as well because I was approaching a busy intersection with no shady spots to hide in. I kept walking and turned the corner onto a quieter street, and felt really satisfied that I'd not tuned back.

The rest of my walk around the block was on quieter streets - well, less traffic but I could hear the sound of my heels echoing off the houses each side of the street. At one point someone's front door opened some distance away, and a lady was still stood at the door waving goodbye to someone driving away as I approached. I tried to walk as steadily and elegantly as I could, and I noticed her glance at me before going inside and closing the door, leaving me wondering if she thought "what a silly pair of shoes to be walking in" or perhaps "what fabulous shoes!".

By this time I could feel the tightness in my tendons and soreness in the balls of my feet, as I'd never walked anything like this distance in heels before, and on concrete paving too. But I was more than half way around the block, so turning back was pointless, it was easier to keep going. When I got back home I was buzzing with the thrill of the walk, but it was a relief to slip off my shoes and sit down.

It took me a while to build up the confidence to do that again, but over the next few months I remember repeating that walk twice more. Once wearing black leather courts with a 3½" heel and a ¾-length coat, and I remember a young boy cycled past me on his bike, but I had the distinct impression that he'd been delaying before overtaking me, perhaps captivated by the heels in the same way I would have been if I was that boy on the bike. The other time I wore my gold strappy sandals with red-painted toes and a green party dress under the same coat, and that was my first encounter with a pedestrian, a young lady who glanced up and down at my outfit and heels before we passed each other by.

It was many years later that I first presented myself in public as a guy in heels, and that was in broad daylight trying on my avatar boots in the store before buying them. For newbies if you really feel more comfortable stepping out in the cover of darkness, I'd really recommend an autumn/winter evening where lots of cars are driving around and maybe even with lots of pedestrian commuters walking home, or a high street bustling with christmas shoppers. Unless you're wearing really obvious heels most people will be far too preoccupied to even notice that you're wearing heels.

I think you have more nurve then I do.. I will figure something out.

My first time out?? Being a smoker, and traveling on business means you have to go out side once in awhile. Threw on a pair of clog/mules with about a 4" heel and head out. Down the elevator, past the lobby desk and out the door. The entrance area is well lite, so it.s not like darkness was gonna hide much.

One hotel has a few girls that like to see what I'm wearing. Another has a guy who admits he has a bit of a problem with it, but he realizes that it's an issue he has, and not related to the hotel.

maybe if I find a place that no people know me I can try it out and take a walk. People never sleep around here.

Until I was in high school, the wearing of my choice of shoes was sporadic and very secretive, having to depend on the uncaring or unaware activities of others. As a teenager with a minimal income from a number of small jobs, I finally was able to assemble enough funds to purchase my own pair of 4" spike heel pumps. During the school year, I had a daily pre-dawn class that gave me the opportunity to wear my heels with the light of the street lamps, stars, and occasionally the moon in its different stages as it settled under the horizon while walking to the class. I would slip out the front door with my heels in hand and put them on before I walked out the chain linked, metal gate. From there I had to travel over some various terrains, most of which were not the best for heeling, but I managed it anyway. It was the most direct and free of human encountering way to go, at least till I got near the class location where I would switch back to wearing my slip-on loafers and hide my heels. As a side note, due to my not knowing the benefits of nylons nor were knee-hi nylons available then, I wore my heels without any type of stockings.

A winters night for me about 7 o'clock went out walking with my girlfriend around my village wearing boot cut jeans and matching hush puppies moorland boots about 3 inch heel they are English country style knee length boots.

Being out at night dressed in heels could be dangerous. If you're accosted, you can't run. If you're accosted by police, you're going to be asked embarrassing questions. My advice: don't do it.

A much better idea which has been mentioned here many times, although it sounds counterintuitive, is to go to a busy shopping mall. Go to one in another city if you must. You will find that almost all of the people you pass will be too busy with their own thoughts to pay any attention to you. You will have more anonymity in a busy mall than you will on any street at night, and the danger level is next to nothing. Plus long malls give you ample time for walking in heels, so it's much better than inside your home, where at best you might have 10 meters in a straight line. The big advantage of the mall is there are lots of shoe stores, so you can browse. When sales associates see you out in heels they will take you as a serious customer and give you better service. The big disadvantage: waxed, slippery floors, particularly if it's raining outside and people have wet shoes on. Be careful not to slip and fall, or if you fall, land on something soft!

Steve

When I was practicing for my first Walk A Mile event my wife and I would go out at dusk and walk around the neighborhood. Me in 4 inch gold heels and her in sneakers. No one ever said anything but I know I was spotted more than once. I'm sure the car headlights reflected off of those gold shoes!

Firstly, going out at night and/or going to a quiet backstreet is very, very dangerous. It is much safer and, after the initial fear subsides, much better to go to a busy area. This sounds counter-intuitive and way, way outside the comfort zone but, trust me, it is the best way. In a busy street people are so busy dodging everyone else, they don't have time to notice your heels. In addition, if someone did have a problem with your shoes, what can they do with so many witnesses about? In a quiet street they could attack you and get away with it, in a busy street, 200 people will be on the phone to the cops to report someone attacking you, that is if they don't intervene.

Secondly, why not wear heels at home? So what if all your neighbours talk about it? In actual fact they probably won't bother. To us it's a big deal but to everyone else it really isn't. They're too busy worrying about their own lives to worry about yours! Think about it, what could any of your neighbours wear that would cause you to phone up your neighbours to discuss it? It would have to be something really serious, someone could walk down your street stark bollock naked and still you won't call your neighbours to talk about it.

Thirdly, be proud of what you do. If you skulk around and hide all the time then people are going to think that you're ashamed of what you do. If you walk tall and let everyone see you then they will know that they can't abuse you for it.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Being out at night dressed in heels could be dangerous. If you're accosted, you can't run. If you're accosted by police, you're going to be asked embarrassing questions. My advice: don't do it.

A much better idea which has been mentioned here many times, although it sounds counterintuitive, is to go to a busy shopping mall. Go to one in another city if you must. You will find that almost all of the people you pass will be too busy with their own thoughts to pay any attention to you. You will have more anonymity in a busy mall than you will on any street at night, and the danger level is next to nothing. Plus long malls give you ample time for walking in heels, so it's much better than inside your home, where at best you might have 10 meters in a straight line. The big advantage of the mall is there are lots of shoe stores, so you can browse. When sales associates see you out in heels they will take you as a serious customer and give you better service. The big disadvantage: waxed, slippery floors, particularly if it's raining outside and people have wet shoes on. Be careful not to slip and fall, or if you fall, land on something soft!

Steve

My dream would be to go to a mall and walk around.  And maybe one day that will happen. I am just not ready for that yet.

Firstly, going out at night and/or going to a quiet backstreet is very, very dangerous. It is much safer and, after the initial fear subsides, much better to go to a busy area. This sounds counter-intuitive and way, way outside the comfort zone but, trust me, it is the best way. In a busy street people are so busy dodging everyone else, they don't have time to notice your heels. In addition, if someone did have a problem with your shoes, what can they do with so many witnesses about? In a quiet street they could attack you and get away with it, in a busy street, 200 people will be on the phone to the cops to report someone attacking you, that is if they don't intervene.

Secondly, why not wear heels at home? So what if all your neighbours talk about it? In actual fact they probably won't bother. To us it's a big deal but to everyone else it really isn't. They're too busy worrying about their own lives to worry about yours! Think about it, what could any of your neighbours wear that would cause you to phone up your neighbours to discuss it? It would have to be something really serious, someone could walk down your street stark bollock naked and still you won't call your neighbours to talk about it.

Thirdly, be proud of what you do. If you skulk around and hide all the time then people are going to think that you're ashamed of what you do. If you walk tall and let everyone see you then they will know that they can't abuse you for it.

This is all so new to me I just do not know what to do. I am going to give all this advice a try. But it will take me some time to do it.

SleekHeels' first experience is eerily reminiscent of my own, and reading it almost felt as if somebody had watched me the entire time and documented my own experience for me.

I did it late at night also, around midnight. My area is very quiet and next to nobody is awake at that hour. Your heart is pounding for two reasons I think; one because there's that underlying worry that somebody will see you and make fun of you (which nobody wants, even with the thickest of skins), and because it's something you've built up the courage to do for so long and you're finally taking those first steps. It's a huge adrenaline rush really, and I significantly remember having a few nervous yet excited sweat drops on my forehead while I had my little walk.

I too felt the strain on the bottoms of my feet, but that's because, like SleekHeels eluded to, you kind of rush yourself. You have that worried feeling inside but the excitement keeps you going. I know when I took those first few steps I was very conscious but you start to develop a more confident approach to wearing your heels/boots in public, even if my experience was at the dead of night. It becomes more of a natural feeling to you and the confidence exudes out of you. Once you've had your first experience and you've had time to dwell on what you've just done, you want to do it again and again. It's a very addicting feeling; similar to people who have tattoos (myself included).

You very rarely just have the one.

I must say, I'm really pleased to see such a friendly and sharing community here. This isn't the first forum I've been a part of in relation to guys wearing heels and I won't name names but this is by far the most friendliest and I feel very comfortable opening up to you all, even as a newbie here. Here's hoping I get to stick around a lot longer and share more stories like this with you all and generally have nice chit-chats.

Ben

My very first experience with public heeling was during the day. Actually, it was about 7 p.m, in the late spring, so it was still full daylight. However, I guess it wouldn't have mattered so much what time of day it was, because I showed up to the end of the school year church choir party in clogs with about a 3 1/2 inch heel (we do not rehearse or sing during the summer). I don't really remember exactly how I felt, I'm sure I was pretty self-conscious, but I am pretty sure nobody noticed. The reason I think this is because I had discussed my love of heels with a close friend who is also a choir member, and at one point, I had to pull up my pant leg and point my shoes out to her before even she noticed.

Months later, I did take to walking the streets after dark when I moved on to higher and more feminine styles. The reason for this was because at the time I wasn't very good at walking in the higher heels, and I needed a way to practice in relative private. If I ever get some motivation to learn to walk properly in my 2 pairs of 5 1/2 inch heels (I still have significant trouble with them), I will choose the same method of practicing under the cover of darkness, to minimize the number of people who might see me struggling.

I realize that in many places, late-night walks are a bad idea, but around here, ain't nobody gonna beat you up for nothin', with the possible exception of the odd drunken altercation at a bar. It's one of the nice things about living where I do.

Yup, that's when I tend to go out on the rare occasion I do, early in the morning.  There are a number of office parks that are empty on the early morning hours just before / around sunrise on Saturdays.  No one is out so I can heel close to home and more importantly I'm comfortable with the area.

Eager2heel ,  I have worn high heels all hours of the day and one thing I can say . " Men + High Heels = WHO CARES " ! Most people are concerned about their little part of the universe .  Take what Dr Shoe said as gospel , It's all about being proud and attitude . So far as the "heel cops" . What are they going to say ...... ?

I like to go clubbing in my heels and go out for breakfast after clubbing around 4:30 am . I would suggest wearing some jeans that will cover your heels and just say to heck with other people and have fun with it . Head to a shopping center in another town and check it out in high heels . I think if you give it a chance and act like you have been wearing heels since the dawn of time , it will be a fun experience. I look forward to reading about your high heel journey ! Good luck and be safe and avoid gravel and wet lawns in your heels ! LOL !!!      

I just went out for another little stroll, around 11:30pm here.

As usual there was that nagging yet exciting 'wait-by-the-door-and-pick-your-moment' feeling, but I just thought screw it (excuse the unpleasantries) and went.

I was wearing my latest pickups over my jeans for the first time and it was a lovely feeling. I was also wearing a black leather jacket with a hood on, but by the time I was halfway around my walk I just took it down. The confidence boost I'd got from overcoming the hesitation earlier had given me quite the sense of freedom and empowerment, and I felt like I didn't have a care in the world. By the time I'd got back around to my street I saw a rather young lady a couple doors up having a cigarette outside.

Still with my confidence boost before, and especially after I saw her glancing over, obviously curious at the sound of my heels on the pavement (which is a lovely sound, I think we'd all admit), I decided to make conversation with her. A fence separated us both so, as politely and cautiously as possible so late at night, I called over to her: "Excuse me?", to which she replied: "Yeah?", "I was just wondering if I could have your advice on something?". "Sure," she replied kindly. "Come through the gate, I can't see you up there" she humoured.

As I walked through her gate, with my hood down, she kept eye-contact with me and glanced down at my boots that were shining in her porch light. She looked back up after and didn't seem to be phased by it. I smiled at her and asked: "From a ladies point of view, can I ask about my boots?" she looked at them and smiled again. "They're quite new and I'm trying them out. They're really comfortable and nice to walk in, but I was just curious as to what you thought of them?" at this point I was rather nervous to be talking to a complete stranger about something so personal and nerveracking, but she was really nice about it.

"I think they look quite nice, actually, and especially with your jeans." she hesitated, questioning me with her eyes. "Go on then, let's see how you walk in them." she requested, to which I was quite taken aback by. I hesitated a little, but I walked up her driveway with great confidence and back down again to where she was standing. "How long have you been wearing heels? You walk really well in them for a guy; most struggle and their balance is all wrong.", to which I replied: "Since I was quite young, just curious, but up until recently probably about a year or so, mostly in my house down the street.". She nodded, interested. "I think you should wear them outside more. You look pretty confident in them and if you like them, wear them." she suggested.

I was really touched by what she'd said about my boots and the way I walked, especially considering she was just a stranger, and offering me advice like that really made me feel chuffed inside and actually brought a little tear to my eye. She took one last drag of her cigarette and dropped it between us. She smiled at me and asked: "Can I ask something?", "Of course,", I replied, "Anything.". She looked down at the cigarette she'd dropped and winked at me. Out of some strange instinct, I put my right boot over it and turned it left and right a few times, putting it out for her. She smiled again and laughed a little before wishing me goodnight. I replied with the same and thanked her very much, then walked back home.

A phenomenal experience, I have to say. To think that a complete stranger had given me such kind feedback and implored me to go out in public more often with my new boots was lovely, and I will most definitely be taking her advice. I'm already thinking about my next venture as I type this and the smile has yet to leave my face. I just thought I'd share this little experience with you as a few of the posts in this thread are along the same lines of feeling conscious or discussing our first few times.

All the best,

Ben

Eager2heel ,  I have worn high heels all hours of the day and one thing I can say . " Men + High Heels = WHO CARES " ! Most people are concerned about their little part of the universe .  Take what Dr Shoe said as gospel , It's all about being proud and attitude . So far as the "heel cops" . What are they going to say ...... ?

I like to go clubbing in my heels and go out for breakfast after clubbing around 4:30 am . I would suggest wearing some jeans that will cover your heels and just say to heck with other people and have fun with it . Head to a shopping center in another town and check it out in high heels . I think if you give it a chance and act like you have been wearing heels since the dawn of time , it will be a fun experience. I look forward to reading about your high heel journey ! Good luck and be safe and avoid gravel and wet lawns in your heels ! LOL !!!      

I am getting better with the heels on. I put the shoes on and it hurt like hell. I did not realize my sore feet until I put the heels back on today. But I did not take them off. I did house work and before I knew it most of the pain was gone. I cleaned all the floors with a sweeper and mopped the tile floor. But then I had to give my feet a break. I will find a way to go to a mall not near my house and walk around. I just need a little more time in the heels.

I am getting better with the heels on. I put the shoes on and it hurt like hell. I did not realize my sore feet until I put the heels back on today. But I did not take them off. I did house work and before I knew it most of the pain was gone. I cleaned all the floors with a sweeper and mopped the tile floor. But then I had to give my feet a break. I will find a way to go to a mall not near my house and walk around. I just need a little more time in the heels.

That sounds like a very good plan. There is a huge difference between doing housework in heels and walking several hundred continuous yards in them. When I first started wearing heels, I made the mistake of doing too much, too fast.

I had bought this pair of Vera Wang boots with 5" heels (albeit with a 1" platform), and I thought, "Wow, these are actually pretty comfortable!" So I went to the mall to take care of some problem with my cell phone. It's a big mall with a big parking lot, and by the time I got to the cell phone place, my feet were pretty tired. Then of course, I had to stand there and wait to be served. And wait...and wait....and wait..... I didn't exactly think I was going to die, but let's just say that I began to have second thoughts about this heel-wearing thing.

The good news is, a year and a half later, after lots of practice, and some would say ridiculously intense training, I can run that same errand in those same boots (or shoes that are even steeper) with no trace of pain or tiredness.

So starting cautiously is a good idea. There's nothing worse than realizing you've passed the point of no return, and your shoes are not getting along with you. Good luck!

Never ever go walking around in heels at night.  

You might trip on a crack in the walkway that you did not see, fall and hurt yourself and maybe damage your heels!!!  

Neither is a good thing !!!  

Have fun..  sf

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

That sounds like a very good plan. There is a huge difference between doing housework in heels and walking several hundred continuous yards in them. When I first started wearing heels, I made the mistake of doing too much, too fast.

I had bought this pair of Vera Wang boots with 5" heels (albeit with a 1" platform), and I thought, "Wow, these are actually pretty comfortable!" So I went to the mall to take care of some problem with my cell phone. It's a big mall with a big parking lot, and by the time I got to the cell phone place, my feet were pretty tired. Then of course, I had to stand there and wait to be served. And wait...and wait....and wait..... I didn't exactly think I was going to die, but let's just say that I began to have second thoughts about this heel-wearing thing.

The good news is, a year and a half later, after lots of practice, and some would say ridiculously intense training, I can run that same errand in those same boots (or shoes that are even steeper) with no trace of pain or tiredness.

So starting cautiously is a good idea. There's nothing worse than realizing you've passed the point of no return, and your shoes are not getting along with you. Good luck!

I can walk in them now but my feet are still sore. So today is a recovery day. No heels and i soaked feet in worm water for a while.

Never ever go walking around in heels at night.  

You might trip on a crack in the walkway that you did not see, fall and hurt yourself and maybe damage your heels!!!  

Neither is a good thing !!!  

Have fun..  sf

I fully understand . I am looking for other places now to walk in the day time.