Fashion Party @ Fashion Week - What To Wear?

freestyle75

Hi,

I haven't posted for a while as my previous company restructured, I got a golden handshake, applied for a different job, got it, searched for a new apartment and moved to a totally different city. Took a while to get settled...

Now I am living very close to one of "THE" fashion hotspots in Germany, where they do have fashion shows going on at regular intervals. This weekend, a couple of designers are presenting their fashion (you need an invitation by each designer to attend) - think of it as a small fashion week - and it all ends in a big party that is happening at a big luxury retail store (similar to Selfridges or Saks).

I've bought stuff at that retail store in their men's luxury department and do have their customer card - still it was a surprise that I got invited to their "gallery party" where a German luxury label is going to present their anniversary collection and a German musician who is well known here will take care of the music.

For me, it's the first "fashion" event I've ever been invited to, and I start wondering what to wear.

I planned to wear the following:

A slim black shirt:

boss-black-enzo-hemd-schwarz_zpsa1d46794

grey jeans with a slight used look (they look a bit bootcut on the pic, but are in fact straight leg):

jeans_zpsc8eaafdd.jpg

... and these boots:

ermanno_scervino_zps2203140c.jpg

This is an outfit I personally feel very comfortable with, and I can walk miles in these boots (they are my favorite).

Now I am starting to wonder whether this might be too casual and whether they do expect a more "refined" dresscode (e.g. blazer / suit).

An alternative would be these trousers that have a pallazo type of look and could be combined with a white shirt:

PacoRabanne01_zps45ba7351.jpg

These trousers cover more of the heels and could also take the whole outfit over the edge of being too feminine. Don't know.

Any advice on what to wear to such an event? -- I just don't want to wear a normal suit (I've dozens regular clothes which could work), as I hope that IF I can ever find a girl who is comfortable with a guy wearing heels, it's probably someone who enjoys fashion as well (and chances are higher on a fashion party)... that's why I definitely want to make a statement there.

Both outfits look fun, and the boots look cool. I have no experience whatsoever of fashion parties but my feeling is more towards the first outfit, as I think it looks more like a guy flirting with feminine fashions and perhaps this makes a more intriguing statement. If you think the grey faded jeans are a bit too casual maybe a nice crisp pair of white bootleg jeans or white tailored trousers would be a good alternative? Maybe even a bolder colour like red trousers would also work well with the black shirt and boots.

If you like it, wear it.

I'm saying this not to brag, but to give credibility to my answer.  From the most coveted luxury designer parties during New York Fashion Week, to exclusive intimate dinners at Paris Fashion Week with THE MOST FAMOUS names in fashion  design and media I can assure you:

It's totally safe to wear whatever you want.

The caveat is that you want to put it together like you are dressing up the Smithsonian, or custom designing a dress for the Museum of Modern Art. You want to put together your outfit with the artisitc thought that Gordon Ramsey puts into his best plates.

I think that's you already, so you shouldn't have a problem incorporating your knowledge, your best pieces, and your personality into a cohesive whole.

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

Indeed.

There is no dress code, almost by definition.

Perhaps you should look at the designer's most recent collection for inspiration?

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Thanks for all of your replies.

I opted for a black shirt with short sleeves (as it was quite hot today), the gray jeans + the boots as shown.

How did it turn out?

Well, I was a bit underdressed. Most men were wearing at least blazers + chinos or even suits. The women were all dressed up to the fullest, often with dresses or skirts and lots of jewelery. Age range between around 12 (one family with their daugther) to 65. You could see in the parking garage what type of customers were visiting. In front of my parking spot was a Porsche Cayenne, left to me a Porsche 911, and right of me a Ferrari (don't know Ferrari enough to tell you what model). My company car (Mercedes) looked somewhat out of place.

It was a party "to see and be seen", and as someone from out of town (+ heels) it was nearly impossible to make contact to someone, as most people knew each other and were standing in circles, chatting to each other.

Nonetheless, it was fun. Everything was very well organized, they had sparkling wine served everywhere (for me Coke please ;-) ), and also a "flying buffet" (little finger-food you could eat). The fashion show as such was very brief (maybe 10 minutes or so), and after that they opened up the dancefloor.

I got quite a few looks, not because of the jeans, but because of the heels. With iPhones everywhere, I am probably also the single one most shared photo of the evening.

Some looked at me like a freak (especially some of the older guests at age 50+), some seemed to admire the boots, some seemed confused by a guy wearing heels.

Nobody started a conversation with me. When I left the party about an hour ago, the woman that was in the elevator with me complained "ewww, my feet hurt" (she was wearing something like 3 inch sandals without platform). "Do yours hurt too?" she asked me.

"I am wearing platforms", I replied, "I could go on for a few hours", I added, smiling (which is really true, as they are really comfy). She then said that she should have chosen her platforms as well and wished me a good evening. Sometimes you wonder why they just don't start such casual conversations ON the party, and not on the way OUT.

All in all, I would probably dress up a bit more next time, but despite the looks, I would always go there in heels ;-)

freestyle75,

I agree with kneehighs in that this is fashion inner circle and I don't it matters what precisely you wear but how it is put together which is exactly what the women will tell you. I'd expect people to wear edgier outfits but would also expect them to wear whateer they choose with confidence and conviction. If it were me I'd wear my highest heels and pair them with a memorable outfit. You were invited for a reason! Make it memorable

• 2 weeks later...

@mtnsofheels:

The boots are from the fall/winter 2013 collection of the designer brand "Ermanno Scervino" (see here).

ermanno_zpsd0fe67c7.jpg

I stumbled upon these boots while browsing the magazine L'Officiel Accessoires (see here) which is published each season and shows the bags, shoes and accessoires from the top designer brands. I hadn't known Ermanno Scervino up to that point and contacted a number of boutiques in Europe before I found one in London (Sloane Street, Knightsbridge) that actually had this pair in my size (41 / UK8 / US10 or 11). It was quite funny, as the sales girl sent me pictures of the boots they had available via What's App - sadly, she no longer works at that store, but it was really quite cool shopping with her.

Despite their height, they are really comfortable to wear. After wearing them a couple of times, I also wanted to get the same pair in suede, but although the suede pair was shown on the Ermanno Scervino website, it was never produced - no boutique in Europe had received a single pair, and they also couldn't be ordered (that salesgirl really tried, but didn't have any luck).

This year, I am hunting for some other boots that have a similar shape, but are knee-high... once I've got them, I will post them here. I am not going to tell what brand they are (yet), as I am not sure how many will be available in the largest (41) size on this planet... I've already preordered them at a store in Munich, and I am awaiting their call (that the boots have arrived) on a daily basis... ;-)