Frustrating

FLheellover

I've got a question for everyone in here.

Why do they make the ankle straps fasten on the outside of the ankle? It is so hard to see what you are

doing as you try to fasten them. It would be so much easier to fasten them if they were on the inside of the ankle.

Any thoughts?

It's for aesthetic reasons actually. The ankle buckle is part of the shoes decoration, so of course it's on the outside.

I have one pair of ankle strap pumps that have free ankle straps that pass through a loop on top of the heel cup. This allows for the buckle to be rotated around the ankle.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

Yes, the heel straps are removable so that they could be worn as a regular pump.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

Also, the buckles could catch on each other on the inside - but you are very correct that the outside location makes it very hard to fasten.

Just a bit higher to to delight - low enough for healthy foot comfort and great beginning.

I too find it frustrating. I have a favorite pair of sandals that I will choose to jot wear because the holes are tight and buckling is a pain. I will say that when I have less of a gut I have less of an issue.

Life is short...  Wear the bleeping shoes!

I don't find it at all frustrating, maybe I've just got used to it. Also, for those who choose to wear skirts with their heels it's much easier to fasten an ankle strap on the outside (with knees together) rather than inside (knees apart) while maintaining some degree of decorum :blush:

If you like it, wear it.

I know. And nothing looks worse than a bloke in heels doing a John Wayne impression. Moreover, these shoes are designed for ladies who have a much daintier walk.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

I think I walk pretty much like a woman when in heels and have never rubbed my ankles together. I had a pair of heels with removable straps and put the buckles on the inside and never had a problem

I bought a new pair of 4 inch heels with the ankle strap yesterday and had the hardest time getting them to clasp. And then to tuck the remaning strap behind the clasp was almost impossible.  It took a while but it was worth it. I worked from home yesterday (alone) and wore them for about seven hours straight, a new record for me.

I'm a recent convert to sandals, and I don't find the buckle placement at all frustrating. If anything, having them on the outside makes sense because they don't scrape at your ankles and/or wreck your hosiery.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

It does make sence for the buckles to be on the outside.  I do sometimes find it frustrating to do straps up.  I don.t think it  helps with me having wide ankles not being as flexable as I can be and being a male. Biggest problem I have had in the past is the straps not being long enough in the first. place. If I can't grip the strap once I pulled it through the buckle, there is no way I,m going to  be able to do it up.. I have had to in the past, had to put extra hole in the strap. 

You got to remember we are wearing women shoes which are designed for the shape of a women's foot. 

It does make sence for the buckles to be on the outside.  I do sometimes find it frustrating to do straps up.  I don.t think it  helps with me having wide ankles not being as flexable as I can be and being a male. Biggest problem I have had in the past is the straps not being long enough in the first. place. If I can't grip the strap once I pulled it through the buckle, there is no way I,m going to  be able to do it up.. I have had to in the past, had to put extra hole in the strap.     You got to remember we are wearing women shoes which are designed for the shape of a women's foot.

Ain't that the everlovin' truth! Even for smallish men, our feet are still too wide and/or too large to properly fit into women's shoes. The fact that most of us have found shoes that fit relatively well (thanks to Payless) is nothing short of a minor miracle.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

Ain't that the everlovin' truth! Even for smallish men, our feet are still too wide and/or too large to properly fit into women's shoes. The fact that most of us have found shoes that fit relatively well (thanks to Payless) is nothing short of a minor miracle.

Agreed, nothing short of a miracle. If I ever wind up with the bank to do it I will attempt to find a shoemaker who wiil make whatever style I dig in a size that fits my feet and ankles.

Life is short...  Wear the bleeping shoes!

Some Mary Jane shoes are fitted with snap fasteners that won't stay connected once you stand up because of the shortness of the straps. That is so frustrating to succeed in getting them fastened only to realize they won't stay no matter what you do to reconnect them.

FLheellover,

You might try out different styles of ankle straps if this is a concern. Many sandals have Y-shaped ankle straps that are lower on the ankle while others have an ankle strap that that is parallel to the back of the shoe and is higher on the ankle while still others have a sligback type of strap. This third type I like a lot because it allows the wearer to to take the shoe off and put it back again quickly which is important if you go shoes shopping while wearing heels which many of us do. A number of my heels (pumps and wedge heels 5" or higher) have removable straps which would allow  you to change the side of the of the ankle the buckle or clasp is on. I do prefer setting my shoes so that I don't have to strap in each time. I will say that one advantage that heels that must be strapped ineach time have is that they are usually are a very stable shoe. So, say you were going out, and not shoe shopping, then a shoe that was securely strapped to your foot may be an absolute joy to wear. Ultimately we should get our shoes, sandals, and boots to work for how we will use them.  HappyinHeels