Sad Day. Ankle Is Kaput

Well my ankle is now done. I can barely walk in my normal heels. It hurts on the inside just behind the ankle bone by the tendon. Its not the tendon though. Kinda in the soft spot. I was rubbing that area a few nights ago because that is where it feels like it is limiting my heel height then it was hurting there the next day. Been that way a week now. I wander if wearing tennis shoes while cutting up all the fallen limbs might have hurt it. Anyway I am going to have to lower my heels choices. Perhaps 3 inches for a while. This really sucks.

Sorry to hear about your ankle, but there are some great styles out there in the 3 inch range. You might even find the 3 inch range preferable for long term wear.

While it's great to wear higher, no one should take a steady diet of them

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

Most of my heels are in the 3 inch range and it's really a good height for walking, standing and doing everyday things. I can't go much higher than 3.5 inches and walk gracefully anyway. Like Shafted said, there are some great choices out there at 3 inches. And 3 inches is better than no inches!

Hope you have a full and speedy recovery, Heels2U.

Steve

What I wear most days is right at 4. 3 3/4 is perfect. Its raining today so I went with my normal height thinking I would not walk much today. Plus my ankle popped last night so I was hoping it would be better. Only a little I guess tomorrow I will have to dig out the 3 to 3 1/2 heels. Its gotten to the point that mentally its hard to put on something lower. I know I have complained about ankle in the past and I knew this day was coming.

Wore these yesterday. No problems. First time wearing them. I have had them for over a year. Also have them in black. These have for to be one the most comfortable shoe I have ever put on. These would look great with black jeans that were tight around the ankle and came down to either the top of the boot or about mid heel. My ankle popped a few times last night, no shoes on, and its a bit better today. In my Friday hi wedge heels since I will get to wear them for a very long time today. Not much walking today.

post-2198-0-59420300-1393612894_thumb.jp

Wishing you a sensible and speedy recovery, I know that frustrating feeling, I caught my knee ten days ago just seemed a light knock followed by a slight twist.

Still giving some discomfort whether barefooted, work shoes or heels.

We've just got to take it easy.

Al

For those of you experiencing ankle, knee, or foot pain,  if it is not better after one or two days of rest and icing it down, I strongly suggest you see a physician. From my experience, delaying treatment can result in bigger problems and longer recovery times especially if it is a tendon issue. Fix it fast before it becomes something you regret for a very long time.

Its doing better. While watching TV at night I have moved it around and it has popped a few times. I find it solo hard to put on lower heels, but there are also heels higher than what I normally wear that I miss wearing. Here is what I am in today. Hi but not bothering me.

post-2198-0-81805100-1394029244_thumb.jp

heels2u,

You've mentioned your ankle popping quite often (3 posts so far stated that) and that it feels better after popping?  That really doesn't sound right.  Have you ever had this ankle looked at, or at least tended to it yourself if you don't have plans to see a doctor.  Ice / wrap / elevate it if swollen, and mostly rest... as in take care of it and let the damn thing heal properly for goodness sake before trying to walk around again in 5 inch heels.  I mean honestly, let it heal for a week, two, or longer, instead of torturing it immediately after an injury.  I promise, in the long run, you will be much happier. 

At this rate, you will ruin your ankles (may be too late already) and never wear heels again if you just keep trying to pop it and then jump right back into heels the next day.  As for you being disappointed that you might have to lower your heel choices and not be able to wear 5" heels anymore, that sounds a bit silly. How about living with extreme discomfort the rest of your life while just walking in ANY shoes, if you don't start taking much better care of it and quit trying to force 5" heels on it every time it tries to tell you there is an issue? This whole thing just sounds a bit crazy to me. 

-----

updated:  Sorry if that sounded so harsh and insensitive... I really am just trying to tell you to take care of yourself first. You don't want to live the rest of your life in pain and/or disabled just so you can enjoy your heels today.  Anyway, seriously... take care  :)

That's ok, hhboots. If I read Heels2U correctly, he's got the situation well in hand. I agree with you that he probably should see a doctor but, as he says, it's getting better. Perhaps thenext thing we read from him will be that his ankle is in a cast and he won't be able to wear shoes of any kind fo at least six week so as to allow the tendon surgery to heal properly. Oh well, his heels will last longer if he isn't wearing them. ;-)

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

heels2u,

You've mentioned your ankle popping quite often (3 posts so far stated that) and that it feels better after popping?  That really doesn't sound right.  Have you ever had this ankle looked at, or at least tended to it yourself if you don't have plans to see a doctor.  Ice / wrap / elevate it if swollen, and mostly rest... as in take care of it and let the damn thing heal properly for goodness sake before trying to walk around again in 5 inch heels.  I mean honestly, let it heal for a week, two, or longer, instead of torturing it immediately after an injury.  I promise, in the long run, you will be much happier. 

At this rate, you will ruin your ankles (may be too late already) and never wear heels again if you just keep trying to pop it and then jump right back into heels the next day.  As for you being disappointed that you might have to lower your heel choices and not be able to wear 5" heels anymore, that sounds a bit silly. How about living with extreme discomfort the rest of your life while just walking in ANY shoes, if you don't start taking much better care of it and quit trying to force 5" heels on it every time it tries to tell you there is an issue? This whole thing just sounds a bit crazy to me. 

-----

updated:  Sorry if that sounded so harsh and insensitive... I really am just trying to tell you to take care of yourself first. You don't want to live the rest of your life in pain and/or disabled just so you can enjoy your heels today.  Anyway, seriously... take care  :)

Well it isn't insensitive really. If something is painful, you really do have to stop and get it looked at.

I can't run for a week because of a bit too overzealous running on concrete of late (shin splint on my right leg). If it comes back i have to wait another week. I'm already annoyed but well, what can I do? I only got one set of factory fresh feet, so have to keep them in as good of a condition as I can.

Oh and I was told stop running down hills, so... got to tell the podiatrist the truth behind that one. Which got a smirk and a good for you.

Seriously, talk to a professional. You may end up doing more damage not getting it looked at. Hell get 2 opinions if you can.

I don't try to pop it. With no shoes on I may move it around and it just pops. Not all the time. I am not one that normally goes to a doctor. I have to be really hurting or just had enough of the pain to go. I can just see myself going in and asking my doc, she is a nice looking female, why my ankle hurts or won't bend when wearing 4 inch heels, although I have worn heels to see her. Its doing better. Only hurts when I take long steps. What is it in the ankle that limits how far it will point or bend.

• 2 weeks later...

I know way, way, way too much about ankle troubles after my wife had a severe compound fracture in 2012.  It has been an incredibly hard journey, five surgeries already and a long way to go yet before maybe she can wear something with a heel again if ever, right now we'll be happy to attain normal walking.  Her initial injury repair was done wrong and that caused almost immediate arthritis.  We have worked hard to pursue the most cutting edge treatments that give hope of restoring the ankle to relatively normal function and maybe at least enough flexibility and stability to wear some heeled boots again, although probably never more than 3" It is true that a messed up ankle can result in extremely limited shoe choices and that is not something any of us here want to be faced with..  Anyway, with that, I will say the ankle is a very complex joint and it doesn't take a dramatic injury to mess it up.  Take good care of it, ration the heel wearing or give it a complete break for awhile and don't put off getting it checked if symptoms don't subside. 

Sorry to hear. Guess I should be thankful. mine has been back to where it was. Still pops sometimes. Like when I am on the couch with no shoes and I start to roll my foot around in a circle it will do just one pop. wearing waay too hi a heel today. I dont know why I wear these.