Do You Have Any Stumbling Blocks (Pun Intended)?

mlroseplant

I have to admit, despite having worn heels on a daily basis for nearly two years and hundreds of miles, I really suck at walking down stairs. The few times that I have nearly fallen have been walking down stairs. The most recent time was just a few days ago when I was with my ex-wife, attending our son's parent/teacher conferences at our local high school. I guess I was talking and not paying attention, and nearly ate it. How embarrassing!

Even when I have no stumbles, I never feel graceful walking down stairs. I always feel like I take forever, and am terribly clumsy. Going up stairs is no problem, and, as long as I remember to keep my knees close together, I think I even look pretty good going up stairs.

How about y'all? Is there one thing about wearing high heels that you would like to improve?

Use the elevator...

Often the treads of the steps are too short and you will need to put your foot sideways otherwise you are just balancing on a heel. Don't worry, no one looks truly elegant coming down stairs in heels unless they're in a Busby Barclay musical!

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Good advice from the Doctor about stairs. I have the issue that I am naturally a bit clumsy, I trip and miss my step when walking sometimes even in my trainers so then it happens in heels it clearly looks exaggerated. I'm so used to it though I quickly recover but to the onlooker they would assume it's because I'm a bloke in heels.

High heels are the shoes I choose to put on, respect my choice as I repect yours.

Steps are a pain. The higher the heel the harder. Its not the size of the step it the lack of stepping down on the ball of your foot then letting your heel come down to cushion the impact. I try to avoid coming down or cushion my weight on both hand rails if I can.

Another snag walking down stairs in heels is hitting your head on the corner above the stairs. The clearance on many domestic staircases isn't too great for a tall guy even without heels.

Agree that downstairs is the hardest for me in higher heels.  I usually go down at a bit of an angle and have not mastered going straight forward in heels, however I have one knee that is a bit weaker than the other, so that might have something to do with it...  Also, going down a steeper hill is a similar challenge.  Funny that I would rather go uphill and upstairs (vs downhill/downstairs) any day of the week while wearing heels  :)

• 2 weeks later...

All, Good thread. No problem with stairs at all but dancing is another story! I can do most anything in heels, and nearly all of mine are above 5", but dancing is something I've never had the knack for. I have attended parties and weddings in heels but have avoided the dancing. I have the killer party heels (6.5" or higher) but don't really have the moves and that's my stumbling block.  HappyinHeels

I would like to see u on stairs. I was going down them yesterday and thinking about this thread as the ball of my fooy and my heel hit the next step at The same time and how jarring it was.

All, Good thread. No problem with stairs at all but dancing is another story! I can do most anything in heels, and nearly all of mine are above 5", but dancing is something I've never had the knack for. I have attended parties and weddings in heels but have avoided the dancing. I have the killer party heels (6.5" or higher) but don't really have the moves and that's my stumbling block.  HappyinHeels

That's funny, I feel like an idiot dancing in flats but slip on a pair of heels and I have the (perhaps deluded) impression I can actually dance! :happy:

If you like it, wear it.

Dancing destroyed my ability to walk downstairs.  Some days I have to hold on tight and my knees wobble terribly.  I still dance sometimes, though. Better with some heel than flats.  It gets you on your toes.