Thigh Boots in Public

Thighbootguy

I wore thigh boots for a number of years. Some were actually crotch high. Had about a dozen pair at one time. Only two pairs I had were high heels, one being 4" rectangle (thin front to back but wide) heels and the other 4" block heels. The rest were either flat or cowboy style with 2" riding heels. I rode a motorcycle all over town with the boots and I can vouch that people always noticed me. They may have saved my life more than once, drivers don't see motorcycles and that causes most crashes. I had so many close calls if I wore hiking boots or tennies but never with the thigh boots. The one pair with the rect. heels though, caused me much grief so I finally got rid of them. I think most of the problem was the bold silver decoration on the sides (Jean Gaborit I got cheap on ebay). They had a bold silver design cut out and sewn on the boots. That seemed to cause quite a stir. I got so many negative comments and outright laughter that I finally gave up and got rid of them. It also caused me grief with my career. Everybody in my business locally had heard about the guy who rode around town on a Harley in thigh highs. A local head hunter told me to get rid of my boots, he was hesitant to send me out to interviews for fear I'd show up to work in them. I ended up leaving town to get work out of state. I don't have the motorcycle anymore. I only have one pair of thigh boots left. Those are sheepskin boots that are 28" tall. I can fold the tops down to my knees or wear them straight up. All my other boots are just over the knee top (22") or below the knee.

Last night a friend (lady) was giving a concert in Harrison Ohio and I went up to give a listen. I wore a black long sleeves thin sweater, ivory capris, and black leather OTK boots with 3” stilettos. This was a “bring your own lawn chair” outdoor concert and that’s exactly what I did. I was able to park right by the venue but a couple of heads turned when I walked in and set up my chair. The performance was great and much appreciated by the audience. After the performance I hung around and helped my friend load equipment. Her husband, who knows me well, finally asked me, “How do you walk in those things?” I told him that I found my boots very comfortable and that these were the low heels, the ones I normally wear are 5”. He still looked a little surprised (not disapproving, just surprised) so I went on that the 5” heels had a nice high arch which made them very comfortable. While we were working, a couple of the audience members gave me a nice smile and greeting. It was late enough that I had to head home without participating in the after concert revelry. It was a short but fun outing. :wavey:

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

“How do you walk in those things?”

Probably the most asked question ever to a guy wearing high heels.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

“How do you walk in those things?”

I see it as quite a positive question since I'm sure lots of women in high heels get asked the same thing too - when it's asked in the spirit of "I wish I could walk in those things too!" that's pretty cool and deserves an ancouraging response.

If you like it, wear it.

HA! Ain't that the truth! And, more often than not, there's a tinge of awe in their voices when they inquire, as if what I do borders on magic or something! :silly:

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

HA! Ain't that the truth! And, more often than not, there's a tinge of awe in their voices when they inquire, as if what I do borders on magic or something! :silly:

That may indeed be the most commonly asked question, but I rather suspect that the most commonly unasked question is 'Why are you [a man] wearing high heels?' The latter may be considered intrusive so is probably not actually asked (at least of a complete stranger), but the former is a more acceptable enquiry.

I’ve had a fine morning out and about. I went out wearing black leggings, a long, heavy, off white T-shirt, and black leather thigh boots with 4” stilettos. First stop was the doctor’s office for a Tdap booster shot. I wound up in the waiting area for 30 minutes and several guys engaged me in conversation about baseball and cooking knives (and no mention of my boots). I was there the day before, wearing my boots, but was unable to get the shot. Today the receptionist said she recognized me by my hair. Oh well… the things people notice. The next stop was the cobbler’s shop to pick up my shoes. I added a short leather skirt to the outfit just because I enjoy wearing it. My shoes weren’t ready so I’ll stop by tomorrow. I headed for a nearby Goodwill and found a couple of knit tops and a pair of denim shorts and left only $3 poorer. I changed the T-shirt for a bright red one I had just gotten at the G.W. and headed for a PetCo for some cat food. I stopped at a Hanover’s Fabrics store for a couple of 22” zippers. The lining in boots I was wearing is just about worn out and I decided to remove it and to change the boots from pull on boots to tight fitting boots with a back zipper. The clerk (young gal) actually stretched the zipper out against the back of one of my boots to be sure the length was correct. The last stop was a Kroger Super store that I had never been to before. I had to wander the entire store to get the items I wanted. (I’m sure that layout was by design.) No one said anything to me about how I was dressed or even seemed surprised to see a guy in thigh boots with heels and a leather skirt. I felt very comfortable wearing this outfit and I guess that showed. I'm sure that is why no one said anything or gave any reaction at all. All in all a fun morning. :wavey:

I have taken a couple days off from work so I don’t have to worry about getting up bright and early. I went to the movies tonight and saw Prometheus. It was well done and I did enjoy it. I pushed my envelope a bit further tonight. I wore a denim jumpsuit (short sleeved denim top stitched to denim shorts with a full length front zipper) over a white satin blouse with the collar over the denim collar, and black leather thigh boots with 4” stilettos. I finished with my black long strap purse and dark prescription sunglasses. This was a 7:30 PM showing so it was bright daylight when I pulled into the parking lot. I didn’t slow up at all in getting out of the car; I just checked my reflection in the car’s windows and headed into the theater. There were very few people in the lobby and even fewer when I left and I got no noticeable reactions at all. The only other guys were wearing jeans with the waist a few inches above their knees. There were only a few folks in the auditorium and I got my favorite seat directly in the middle of the place. Folks may have written me off to there being a full moon, but I did feel confident wearing this outfit and I think I projected that confidence. Anyway I had a good time. :wavey: Edited by Thighbootguy

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

• 3 weeks later...

Before someone posts a “What happen to Thighbootguy”, let me offer an explanation. I have described TBG as a persona that I put on. A couple of weeks ago I really noticed I was having trouble taking that persona off. I decided it was time for a change so I put my boots away. Since then I have made a couple trips to Oxford O., attending an all-day song writers conference, and a couple of concerts. I have also given several public guitar performances at the Art museum. All of these activities I would have done wearing my boots, but I did them in guy shoes and still had a good time. Essentially a a guitar has replaced the thighboots with stiletto heels. I have come to realize that there is a certain amount of exhibitionist in me that simply taking off the TBG persona won’t cure, but at least I have been able to rechannel it from boots to a guitar. It isn’t that I think wearing thighboots with stiletto heels is wrong, rather I want to be able to go out without feeling that I have to wear them or need to wear them. Without detracting from other heelers, this is just an effort to make sure my head is working as I want it to; I’m getting my (non-heeled) feet back on the ground. The fact that this has been very difficult to do tells me that I needed to do it. So why has it taken me so long to share these thoughts? I have also posted a caution about posting on hhplace being a reason for (and as addictive as) going out in heels. The desire to have something to post can drive going out in heels as much as the desire to wear heels. I needed to remove that temptation for a while. Well wishes to everyone. Dave

Glad to see you're still around. I had been concerned. After reading your latest post, I can, in my own way, understand what you've been through and why you felt the need to step back. Good luck to you in your future endeavors and I hope you'll return when you're good and ready.

Thanks for posting that, Dave. I've also noticed that the heeling desires can be cyclical. For me Febuary seems to be a high point. Not sure why, maybe just a form of cabin fever. I'm currently on a low point, I have opportunities to heel but don't really feel like it. In the past I might have purged, but no more. I'll keep the equipment available in case the urge strikes again.

When you put down your guitar you're still a guitarist, and when you slip off your heels you're still a heeler. I think it's like some women say they can't leave the house without their makeup on - what started out being worn for confidence can end up creating dependency and insecurity. When I wear flats I do miss the extra height and the confidence that brings, but on the other hand I can walk faster/further (which brings a different confidence) and a nice outfit with ballet flats still gives me the style buzz (and the breaking-convention buzz too). Like heels59 rightly said, it's cyclical, but over-reacting and purging is just as reactionary as feeling compelled to wear heels all the time. It's hard trying to keep that balance in between. Thanks for a thought-provoking topic.

If you like it, wear it.

well, its good to hear from you thighbootguy, but youll always know you can wear them any time you darn well please anyWHERE you please as well!! cheers :rocker:

• 1 month later...

....snip....

I have come to realize that there is a certain amount of exhibitionist in me that simply taking off the TBG persona won’t cure, but at least I have been able to rechannel it from boots to a guitar. It isn’t that I think wearing thighboots with stiletto heels is wrong, rather I want to be able to go out without feeling that I have to wear them or need to wear them. Without detracting from other heelers, this is just an effort to make sure my head is working as I want it to; I’m getting my (non-heeled) feet back on the ground. The fact that this has been very difficult to do tells me that I needed to do it.

So why has it taken me so long to share these thoughts? I have also posted a caution about posting on hhplace being a reason for (and as addictive as) going out in heels. The desire to have something to post can drive going out in heels as much as the desire to wear heels. I needed to remove that temptation for a while.

Well wishes to everyone.

Dave

TBG,

So interesting how often this "hobby" takes hold of the person instead of the person taking hold of the hobby. So many may start out in control, in the drivers seat. But over time, they lose control and wind up going for a ride. I consider the compulsion to post one aspect of this phenomena; in addition to those who start off with a mild interest in wearing heels as men and a couple of years later wind up wanting to completely crossdress or even become women through surgery. There is some truth (even if just partial) in the "slippery slope" phenomena.

This is why for me, the forum in general holds little relevance in my life anymore. Me wearing heels is such a tiny microcosm of the world at large, that I've found my efforts more impactful when invested in other interests with broader reach. Why expend 10 units of energy to affect 1,000 people when I can expend the same amount of energy and affect 100,000? Or even 1 million?

Back to you though, I commend your committment to self-control and wish you the best of continuous virtuous character development.

Always reading your posts with interest,

kneehighs

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

Folks;

Thanks for the kind words of understanding/encouragement.

TBG,

So interesting how often this "hobby" takes hold of the person instead of the person taking hold of the hobby. So many may start out in control, in the drivers seat. But over time, they lose control and wind up going for a ride. I consider the compulsion to post one aspect of this phenomena; in addition to those who start off with a mild interest in wearing heels as men and a couple of years later wind up wanting to completely crossdress or even become women through surgery. There is some truth (even if just partial) in the "slippery slope" phenomena.

Kneehighs point about “the compulsion to post” is another take on the cautions I have voiced about the addictiveness of posting new adventures on hhplace, and that then generating the need for new adventures… . I am still struggling with the “hobby” taking hold of me, but I’m winning the internal argument (at least I think I’m winning).

I did go for two months without wearing my thigh boots or skirts in public (or at all) but I did wear my boots to a concert a month ago (and intentionally didn’t post about it). In the past month I have had a couple of outing with long gloves and skirts. For me, the long gloves take more nerve to wear then thigh boots. The exhibitionist in me is still there but I do think I’m controlling it rather than the other way around.

Thanks to kneehighs for pulling this thread off of page three of the “For The Guys” menu. I was determined I wasn’t going to do that. I will post something here from time to time to let you know how it is going.

Dave

Well, I guess I'm lucky in that the compulsion has yet to take control of me. I haven't done any freestyling since early September, and it doesn't bother me not to have gone out, mainly because life keeps me plenty busy, both at work and at home. And even when the opportunity had presented itself to go on jaunts over the past few weeks, I simply didn't feel like taking advantage of same, and that was no big deal to me either. Not to boast, but I feel as though I'm perfectly balanced and in control of things regarding my freestyling, if I decide to go out, I do, if I don't, I don't. But I still enjoy swinging by HHP as often as I can to see what's up and enjoy the always interesting posts here. In closing, since the chill has arrived, methinks I'll break my thigh boots out of storage for a future adventure. Heh!

...Not to boast, but I feel as though I'm perfectly balanced and in control of things regarding my freestyling, if I decide to go out, I do, if I don't, I don't. But I still enjoy swinging by HHP as often as I can to see what's up and enjoy the always interesting posts here.

In closing, since the chill has arrived, methinks I'll break my thigh boots out of storage for a future adventure. Heh!

What's that saying, "pride goes before the fall"....hope you maintain your perfect balance. :angel:

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

What's that saying, "pride goes before the fall"....hope you maintain your perfect balance. :angel:

Well, I'm gonna do my very best! HA!

I have been "heeling" in public consistently all year long. Most of my experiences are common to what I have shared with the community. I spent an entire day wearing high heels while going many different place. As I have stated before, I think people are so used to seeing me in high heels, there have been no new or unique reactions to me. That is why I haven't been posting my outings as often as I previously did. So I do understand when time goes by without posts.

• 2 weeks later...

The weather finally cooled off to a point where thigh boots were a practical form of footwear (not that practicality ever concerned me before). I decided I had gone long enough to prove to myself that I didn’t have to wear them and headed out again wearing a pair. I made two trips to the Art Museum wearing a black long sleeved pull over sweater (first outing, and a red one for the second outing), black leggings, a short black leather skirt, a black blazer that falls about the same length as the hem of the skirt, and black leather thigh boots with 4” stiletto heels. I was carrying my black long strap leather purse and a similar bag for my sketchbook and pencils. There was a new crew of guards that had never seen me before. Two of them (young ladies) separately went out of their way to chat (about the art), and to offer to get me a chair (I had not picked up a folding stool). I did run into one of guards (also a young lady) who is heading for a new job and I got a hug. I had a great time on both trips and did some nice sketches. I did notice a lady looking at one of the paintings I was sketching (actually noticed her tall boots and black slacks first) and I opened a conversation about the painting. She was very knowledgeable and interested in the work. I told her about a favorite painting in another gallery. Later I was wandering around and ran into her again and offered to show her the painting (Music Lesson, Gerald De Borsh). We walked through several galleries and it was obvious she knew art and painting. It turned out she had just moved to town to be around family and she was a graphic illustrator and a former curator at the National Gallery (Washington DC). I don’t know what she thought of a guy in a skirt and boots being interested enough to show her around the Museum, but I had a very enjoyable and memorable time with her. I am finding that I am wanting to go out in public wearing a skirt and leggings more than I think I should. It isn’t quite as driving a desire as the need to go out wearing thigh boots was, but is a strong enough desire that I need to manage it. I have opened up a separate persona for my guitar playing in public. I leave TBG at home now when I go out with the guitar. For me that was a major accomplishment. I do enjoy wearing the TBG cloak though, but at least I’m much more in control for wearing it. :wavey:

An interesting quandary, TBG. The only thing I really think about is when to dress conservatively, otherwise I wear what I wear (It's not indecent lol). Sounds like another great day at the museum.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

• 2 weeks later...

Over the weekend I set Robert Frost’s A Road Not Taken to my own score and this caused me to really read the poem. The poem talks about a traveler having to make a choice about which path to take but it is really a metaphor for how we pass through life.

The last lines of the poem are:

Two roads diverged in a woods and I took the one less traveled by

And that has made all the difference.

Without getting too deep here, my decision to be a heeler really fits the notion of taking the road less traveled and it really has made a difference.

I found I was having a really hard time singing those last lines without letting my emotions break me up.

I have mentioned that TBG is a persona that I don’t wear all the time and have expressed concerns about that persona sometimes taking over when I didn’t really want it to. What I have been able to do is to let TBG walk down one road while I walk down the other one. The good thing is that TBG and I learn from each other.

I have learned from TBG that I should never try to hide anything I am doing and how to be more engaging with the public. TBG has learned from me not to be quite so outrageous. By the way, TBG can sing those last lines while they still break me up.

On a whole different topic… today was Election Day in the U.S.A. I went to the my polling station around 06:20 wearing a black wool blazer, a light brown sweater, brown slacks, black knee high boots with a 2” block heel (worn over my slacks). I also had my black long strap purse and black leather 1 button gloves. The only male item I was wearing was my watch.

I walked in and took my gloves off and the (older) lady at the registration desk asked if I was the Judge (polling station monitor). I said I wasn’t and she continued that I was dressed like I could be. (I think the blazer had that effect as I’m sure she had not seen my boots.) Another poll worker said, “Let me see who you are… your wearing your riding boots and everything.” I didn’t correct her, rather just thanked her, voted, and headed out the door.

I wore the same outfit all day at work with the only change was wearing my boots under my slacks.

There was an old gentleman on the elevator (the polling station is in the basement of a retirement home) who was grumbling about the way the polling station was set up. He seemed amused when I commented that I was keeping with the Kentucky tradition of voting “early and often.”

I had my four right hand nails (built in guitar picks) done last night after work. There was only one other patron in the salon so there was no waiting. I wore a black leather bomber style coat, a long strap purse, long grey knit top with ¾ sleeves, black leggings, and black leather thigh boots with 4” stilettos. The top was long enough that I didn’t need a skirt. The folks at the nail salon know me well and greeted me warmly. The owner had on a nice pair of ridding style boots and I complemented her on them. She modeled them for me. It was just a quick outing but it’s nice to be wearing tall boots since the weather has cooled off. :wavey:

I got out my thigh boots and did some shopping last night after work. I went out wearing a short knit sleeveless dress with a high waist wide belt and a loose turtleneck, black leggings, a black blazer, and black leather thigh boots with 4” stiletto heels. I was also carrying a black leather long strap purse and wearing dark prescription sun glasses.

The first stop was a Remkey’s grocery that I hadn’t been in for over a year. Some folks didn’t notice me at all but the ones that did acknowledged me with a pleasant smile. Two of the manager types did greet me with, “Good evening Sir”; just to make sure I didn’t think I had fooled them, which was not my intention. At the register the gal was very nice as she rang up my stuff.

The next stop was a nearby Goodwill that I also hadn’t been in for a year. No one seemed to take notice of me at all. I tried on a pair of 11W 9West boots but they were too small. Trying on shoes does require sitting in a short dress and taking off at least one thigh boot which I did with care (wearing leggings helps). I wandered the store but didn’t see anything else of interest.

I stopped in Sam’s and took my time selecting my items. Again no one seemed to pay much attention. When I got in the checkout line a lady behind me (with her husband and kid) started a conversation about some of the items near the checkout lane. She commented that the dinner rolls were too soft.

I said, “But the croissants are very good.”

“Really, do you have to bake them?”

“No they are ready to eat, you might warm them up a bit, but they are good as is.”

“Oh, with just a little butter”

“Oh no! They are a flake pastry which is just layers of shortening and pastry. There is plenty of fat in there already.”

Then I looked at the dinner rolls and she said, “Oh, your thinking about them.”

“No, I’ll make my own”.

“Do you bake bread?”

“Yeah, I buy flour in 25 pound bags.”

“I don’t have time for that. Do you have a bread maker?”

“Yeah, but I also have a big Kitchen Aid mixer.”

It was my turn at the register so we wished each other a happy Thanksgiving. This seemed to be a conversation she would have with anyone, but she carried it on with a guy in a dress and thigh boots with no hesitation or reservation at all.

The clerk at the register knows me well and I joked with her that wanted to be wearing taller boots than her manager was wearing. Her manager was a tall blond wearing tan OTK boots with a flat heel (I did not have an opportunity to complement her on her boots). The clerk got a good chuckle over that and we bid each other a happy Thanksgiving. I took my time loading my stuff into the car.

The last stop was a nearby Goodwill. When I walked in I noticed there was a new register clerk and she gave me a nice smile. I wandered around and found an interesting CD, but that was all. After I had finished checking out the clerk gave me a nice smile and a wave.

I’ve mentioned before that wearing thigh boots kind of overpowers whatever else you are wearing but I wore a similar outfit with my granny boots (see post) and had a similar experience. I think the knit dress looks good (even on me) and I am very comfortable wearing it. (It's all JeffB's fault :penitent: , but thanks Jeff for the idea).

This was a fun outing.

:wavey:

Oh, sure! While you're at it, blame me for the lousy economy, high gas prices and reality TV shows! :P Meanwhile, sounds like you had an enjoyable outing while I have no doubt your outfit must've been smashing. Wearing a dress is no big deal and can look pretty darn good when properly accessorized, and you certainly did both well. In fact, I might have to try that combination you sported myself in the future.

• 3 weeks later...

Thighbootguy I really enjoy reading the stories of your excursions out. My tales of trips out certainly pale in comparison. However, I've recently been out and about in the evenings wearing my black matt thigh boots either with my leather skirt, or over the top of jeans.

Here's a few pics of recent excursions. Note it is dark, there were a few people out and about but not many. It's been a while since I last went out and about so these recent outings were kind of confidence-rebuilders.

Cast a look all, let me know your thoughts...

-bootedup

Great boots! Very courageous

• 2 weeks later...

I’ll be working at home for several weeks. The house was a little bit cool this morning so just to keep warm I pulled on grey T-shirt, a pair or leggings and black leather thigh boots with 4” stilettos. I worked on-line for 6 hrs. then went out to pay a few bills. I pulled on a black wool blazer and a short black leather skirt and headed out the door. I stopped at the cable providers office and paid the bill. There were three ladies in the office but I got no reaction at all other than a quick glance. I parked on the street and had to cross it in light traffic. There was a construction crew working there but I didn’t notice or hear any reaction. Next I went through a drive through payment window then headed for Tuesday Mornings (general discount store) where they had a collection of high heels (shoes and boots) on sale. Unfortunately even the size 11s were too small, but it was fun trying them on. I was out of time so I headed back home. A short but fun outing in thigh boots. :wavey:

• 1 month later...

I haven’t posted here for a while (by design) but I have been out and about in thigh boots. Of recent I have been taking a friend to a cancer clinic for daily radiation treatments. First, she is doing VERY well. I have been wearing a black blazer, a short black skort (about the same length as the blazer), black leggings, and a variety of boots including: black leather thigh boots with 4” stilettos, black leather knee boots with 2” block heels, black leather high ankle boots with a 3” blade heel (these boots have bold lace on the side I have laced with a leather thong that is tied with a big looping bow). No one has even raised an eyebrow. The past couple of months I have been playing guitar at a free store at a nearby church. It isn’t the greatest gig but it counts a public performance and that experience is really helping my performing. I have been wearing jeans with a variety of boots, a white satin top and a black blazer. Today I wore black leather thigh boots with flat heels, black leggings, a long dark top that covered a black short skort. Again no one gave me a second glance other than to say thanks for playing. This afternoon I went to Sam’s wearing black leather thigh boots with 4” stilettos, black leggings, a white knit top with a big lose turtleneck and a short A-line black skirt. I also wore a black blazer, black leather glove and black earmuffs (it was cold outside). I ran into several guys I know from some concerts in Cincinnati where I have always thigh boots. We stood around and chatter for 10 minutes with not a word about my attire. While I was there, a gal walked by wearing a great looking pair of black suede thigh boots with 4” stilettos. When she stopped I said, “Excuse me but I love those boots… where did you find them?” She was flattered (big smile) and told me about a shoe store in Cincinnati (Rookwood Commons) that had them in stock. She then said, “I like your boots too.” I thanked her and went on with my shopping. After Sam’s I went to a nearby Goodwill just to have another place to go. To finish off the afternoon I went to my favorite nail salon to have my nails (left hand guitar picks) filled in. I wore the same outfit but changed the A-line skirt for a short black leather one. After I walked in I sat by a lady that was wearing a pair of OTK UGS (no kidding). I commented that they looked warm and we chatted about boots and shoes until they called her to have her nails done. I took my blazer off so the leather skirt was in full view. The folks running the salon are used to seeing me but the clients didn’t pay any attention, other than a quick glance. Dressing like this (not a stitch of male clothing) out in public has become very comfortable for me to the point that dressing in male clothing in now an effort. I’m not sure where this is going but I’m having fun on the trip. :wavey: Jeff: I glad you have gotten your new Legend thigh boots. Wear them well my friend.

Thanks for checking in with your latest outings, TBG. Always a treat. Hope your friend recovers from her ordeal. As for my Legend thigh boots, oh, I will indeed wear them well! :)