Heeling with mom

Pumps

I don't post here anymore, but I thought you'd find this story interesting. I've been following a certain musical around Europe and some times I've been wearing heels to the theater. It just seems like a good place for it. The last time my mom wanted to come so I didn't, which was a downer. This time she also came along so what should I do ? She'd actually seen me in a skirt and also girly flats ones, but heels ? Did I dare ? She herself suffers from wide feet like me and always complaints that she can't find shoes, so I told her about Evans, not mentioning that they only have womens shoes and going to the UK I thought I'd show her an Evans store. When we finally found one she didn't want to buy shoes. I don't know exactly why but she didn't. I then started to look for shoes for myself for the theater, with a pulse skyhigh, not exactly knowing how she would react. I could only find boring flats. Then all of a sudden i found one pair of suede black pumps with a 3" sabrina heel at only £5.Size 9 ! Mom was shocked. "You wanna wear those ?? Do you want a dress too ?". I stood my ground and acted casual, but I said that I wouldn't buy them if she'd be to embarrassed. She told me that she thought it was silly of me to wear those, but if I really wanted to she wouldn't mind.I bought them. When we came back to the hotel I tried them on with my outfit, while mom was shaking her head. I told her again that I wouldn't wear them if she was not comfortable. She said I should wear what I wanted so we went on to the theater. It was pretty cool. No laughter or anything. We went to a restaurant afterwards. I was trying to convince her, by using all our ususal arguments like "If a women can wear whatever she want...". By the end of the evening she admitted that she thought it was cool that I had the guts to wear what I wanted and that I walked really well in them.At least a bit of acceptance.:)

• Like 1

Well done, Pumps! Good for you for standing your ground and explaining that clothing truly can be worn by anyone, even heels, and it doesn't change the person on the inside. A great milestone to be sure!

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

Wow, i can't even imagine my parents knowing let alone seeing me in heels. That must have taken some serious courage! Can only say i have respect for how you handled it. And it's great that she let you. :)

Pumps:-) You handled that situation with your Mom quite well and in the end you got just what you wanted. Congrats. Now Mom sees that you are still the same person and wearing what you want when you want. She may still have to have a period of time to adjust to it, but go slow and give her that time that she needs to be absolutely sure that she made the right decision for you. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

Pumps, That was a great story. Thanks for sharing. I'm glad it was a good evening for you and it's great that your mother was supportive in the end. I've noticed that you haven't posted here lately. Why not? Your posts are always inspiring. Sometimes people leave a forum because they have got from it everything they wanted, and find that it becomes boring. They were newbies once and were motivated to accomplish new things and achieve their dreams (in this case, wearing heels in public in your mother's presence). People in this situation may not be further inspired, but it's REALLY important that you stay with the forum and help others achieve what you already have. You have a lot to offer in terms of experience and support. Please stick around and help others! "Ask not what your forum can do for you, but what you can do for your forum!" (apologies to JFK). I hope you will post more often in the future. Steve

Nice! What was your outfit?

I recreated the outfit, allthogh I did iron the pants then. Also the outit with the snakeprints which I wore to a Jazz concert a couple of months ago.

post-5478-133522912654_thumb.jpg

post-5478-133522912661_thumb.jpg

post-5478-133522912664_thumb.jpg

Pumps,

That was a great story. Thanks for sharing. I'm glad it was a good evening for you and it's great that your mother was supportive in the end.

I've noticed that you haven't posted here lately. Why not? Your posts are always inspiring.

Thanks. I don't post much anywhere anymore. Somehow I always end up in arguments and I guess I just don't like the idea of it lying around the internet for all eternity.

that's fantastic mate.... i think my mum kinda know my love for heels from way back but it's just an undiscussed thing.... good for you..... also, regarding your outfit with the heels.... i think that looks great and it's a fine example how heels should be easily incorporated to the male waldrobe.... i especially love the pairing with the snakeskin heels....

When you were out in public, did other people notice? But good for you for being you. Fortunately, we get the freedom to wear literally whatever we want but for the guys, they generally can't wear women attire. So in a way, freedom to all. More people should express themself more and not conform too much to the restrictions of society due to our constitutional nature.

Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but she did it backwards and in high heels. -- Faith Whittlesey

When you were out in public, did other people notice? But good for you for being you. Fortunately, we get the freedom to wear literally whatever we want but for the guys, they generally can't wear women attire. So in a way, freedom to all. More people should express themself more and not conform too much to the restrictions of society due to our constitutional nature.

I totally agree...there should be more people thinking as you do!

When you were out in public, did other people notice?

I would think so, but I really didn't catch any weird looks or laughter at all and neight did my mom. At breakfast the next day, my mom walked behind me and said that a woman looked quite shocked when I walked by.

It almost proves the point that mothers are more inclined to accept the fact that their sons wear heels and become more supportive. Fathers, on the other hand, unless they are convinced that there isn't any thing they can say or do to change the habit, are more likely to treat it the practice as a passing childish situation that will soon be outgrown.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

I admire you for wearing what you wanted to wear, explaining this to your mother, not forcing the issue, and I admire her for letting you be you. I never would have even considered putting on high heels and going out with my mother while wearing high heels. She disapproved of me wearing high heels, especially in public.

Don't worry guys, your time will come. Either Mom will come around eventually, or you will be out on your own with your own living space and can then wear heels any time you choose. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!